A typical Sichuan dish historically created with pork. In this article, sticky-sweet aubergines star, moreover plenty of chilli flakes and Sichuan peppercorns, which give a tongue-tingling kick.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 aubergine, minimize into 1-2cm cubes
- 200g medium egg noodles
- 3 tbsp sleek peanut butter
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, additionally further to serve
- ½ tsp ground Sichuan pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp hoisin sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee, which is acceptable for vegans)
- 2 tsp soy sauce, additionally added to provide
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 15g roasted peanuts, bashed into rubble
- Warmth the groundnut oil in a substantial, flat-bottomed pan (a single that has a lid) around a superior warmth. Add the aubergine and go away for a single moment to begin frying, then stir-fry for two minutes. Pour in 50ml water, address the pan and area it on the cheapest heat you have. Prepare dinner for 8-10 minutes, right up until the aubergine is tremendous-comfortable.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles for 4-5 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until tender. Drain and set to 1 facet.
- While the noodles prepare dinner, whisk the peanut butter alongside one another with 4 tablespoons of water, the chilli and the Sichuan pepper in a huge mixing bowl. It will break up (never stress!) and choose about 30 seconds of whisking to arrive back alongside one another. Tip in the noodles and blend nicely. If they seem a minimal dry, incorporate a splash of h2o to assist them. They ought to be super-glossy.
- Acquire the lid off the aubergine pan and crank up the warmth. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes right until the liquid has virtually gone. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds, until eventually fragrant. Take the pan off the warmth and add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and 5 spice. Blend perfectly.
- Divide the noodles concerning two bowls and leading with aubergine and all the sticky juices from the pan. Garnish with spring onion and roasted peanuts. Serve immediately with excess soy and chilli flakes at the desk.