Hanukkah will come appropriate on the heels of Thanksgiving this calendar year, which signifies we have to have a good holiday food (all over again!)—but this time 1 that does not need a great deal of fuss and cleanup.
This go-to winter food is a great accompaniment for latkes — and only a fantastic, gratifying evening meal. Not only is it simple to take in — you are going to have only just one pot to clean and your home will be loaded with an engaging aroma as it cooks.
The important to building this dish deeply flavorful lies in the searing of the chicken and vegetables very first. Truly feel totally free to insert or substitute potatoes — sweet or baking — or other greens, together with parsnips, carrots, or turnips. Avoid cruciferous greens like broccoli or cauliflower, however, which will lend an uncomfortable taste to the dish.
You can absolutely use all bone-in dim or light-weight meat if that is your preference. Just be sure to cook breasts to 160 degrees and thighs to 170 levels.
Cook dinner the total meal in a Dutch oven — a huge, significant pot with a lid that is at minimum 4 to 5 inches deep.
Hen IN A POT
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
1 teaspoon contemporary oregano or a scant ½ teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon refreshing thyme or a scant ½ teaspoon dried
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and slash in 1-inch chunks
2 compact pink onions, each and every reduce in 8 wedges (with the main intact)
¼ cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
8 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
1 9-ounce bag frozen artichokes, thawed and patted dry
2 lbs bone-in chicken breasts, lower throughout in 2 parts
2 lbs bone in hen thighs
1. Incorporate 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, oregano, thyme, squash, onion, olives and garlic in a bowl.
2. Blend 1 tablespoon of the oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the artichokes in a 2nd bowl.
3. Year the hen with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Warmth 1 tablespoon of the oil in the pot in excess of medium high increase the chicken skin aspect down and cook dinner devoid of shifting it until finally the pores and skin is golden brown and crisped, about 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer the hen to a plate.
4. Include the artichokes to the pan and cook dinner till frivolously browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a compact bowl.
5. Include the squash combination and cook dinner 2 minutes add 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and cook dinner yet another 3 minutes. Return the artichokes to the pot toss very well. Position the rooster, skin facet up, on prime of the vegetables. Address, decrease the heat to medium, and prepare dinner 30 minutes. (If the pan will get dry for the duration of cooking, sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of h2o or chicken broth.) Right after 30 minutes, check the inner temperature of both a thigh and breast: the thighs should arrive at 170 degrees about the identical time the thicker breasts are at 160 — 165 degrees.